The castle in Wiśnicz is located on the northern side of a headland leading towards the valley of Leksandrówka. It is structured as a regular four-sided construction with a courtyard and four towers. The origins of the castle date back to the 14th century, when the noble family of Kmita's of the coat of arms "Szreniawa" began to build the series of landlord properties around Wiśnicz. During that time, the erected castle served as a protective bastion for the landlords.
The founder of the fortress was Jan Kmita, who was the governor of the districts of Sieradz, Russia and Krakow during the 70s of the 14th century. The first reference of the castle ("castrum") are confirmed in the billings of Bochnia's ventures ("Żupy bocheńskie”) from 1396.More